Monday, March 31, 2014

Book Haul

I got 17 books this month, most are from goodwill. I went to three different goodwill's.

First goodwill:
















This was the biggest of the bunch.
The first and biggest book is underneath the others, Tim Burton's Nightmare Before Christmas: The Art,The Film, The Vision, I happened upon this one look through it, it not only has the story of how the film was made but also art, sketches, and the lyrics for the songs from the film. Now I will be starting from the top left and go clockwise, first would be Racism, Sexism, and the Media: The Rise of Class Communication in Multicultural America (3rd Edition), I found this book mixed in with the Harlequin-style romance books (I don't think it belonged there), I decided to buy it after flipping through it. The second is Ghost Girl, I had read the spine and took it out thinking it was going to be a different type of story, after reading the summery I decided to get it. The third is David Copperfield, The main reason I picked it up and bought it was because it's by Charles Dickens, the second reason was I've had it on my To Buy List for a while. The forth is Tales Before Tolkien: The Roots of Modern Fantasy, I happened upon the spine and seen Tolkien's name before taking it out and looking through it and had seen it had The Drawn Arrow by Clemence Housman, and The Woman of the Wood by A. Merritt, both of which I have wanted to read for a while. The fifth is Timeless Stories for Today and Tomorrow, I had seen Ray Bradbury's name then read the title and noticed I had it on my To Buy List, it has stories from Roald Dahl, John Steinbeck, E.B. White, as well as many other authors. The sixth is Matilda, I love Roald Dahl books so when I came across this I had to buy it. The Seventh and last book is The Silmarillion, I noticed the Tolkien's name so I read the summery and decided to buy it. I also bought a Algebra and Biology book, but I don't think anybody wants to see those. So that's all for the books from the first Goodwill, now for the next.


From the second Goodwill:


















I only found two I wanted from this Goodwill.
First is Great Expectations, I had a different version of this book, but I really liked this one, also I really like hard cover books so I bought this one, It was only $2.99, I gave the other version I had away. The second and last is Jane Eyre, I have been trying to find this book for a while now, I have been wanting to read it for 3 years now, the funny thing is I've been looking at Goodwill's for this book for about a year and a half, two years, and hadn't been able to find it, then after I found and bought this one, the next time I went to a Goodwill I found another one. so those were the only ones I found at this goodwill, now onto the next one.



From the third Goodwill:

















I had a little more luck at this Goodwill.
The first book is Fahrenheit 451: The Authorized Adaptation, I loved Fahrenheit 451, so when I was looking through the manga and happened upon this I had to buy it. The second is Across the River and into the Trees, The main reason I bought is it's from Ernest Hemingway, I also have a lot of his books on my To Buy List, and I also have another three of his books on my bookshelf. The third is The Mysteries of Sherlock Holmes, I had Sir Arthur Conan Doyle for 2 years now so when I seen this book I had to buy it, It has nine different Sherlock Holmes stories in it. The forth and last is Memoirs of a Geisha, I rented the movie and had seen about 1 hour of it before it started skipping, I didn't know it was based on a book until watching the special features and decided to put it on my To Buy List, I finally found it at this Goodwill around 5 or 6 years later. Now for the last books of the haul.


From Walmart:


















I bought the last one at a different Walmart than the other two, I also bought them all on separate days.
The first book is Divergent, I read and watched so many mixed reviews on this book, I bought it mainly because I want to see the movie and I have a thing about read the books before watching the movie. The second is The Kill Order which is the prequel to The Maze Runner series, I have first book (The Maze Runner), I don't have the other two in the series yet, but I decided to buy it anyway. The third and last book is Vampire Academy, the first in the Vampire Academy series, I heard some pretty good things about this book and the series so I've had this on my To Buy List for awhile, also I seen a trailer for it and it looks like cheesy fun, Although I have some apprehensions about this book because while I like the folklore and mythology of vampires, I like very few movies (the first Underworld, and Buffy the Vampire Slayer), TV shows (most of Buffy the Vampire Slayer), and I have yet to find any fiction books , beside this one and The Vampire Book, that I like or want.

So that was all of the books I got this month. Tomorrow will be my T.B.R. book list for April.

I Hope everybody had/has a great day : )

No comments:

Post a Comment