Friday, March 21, 2014

Nineteen Eighty-Four Book Review

1984 by George Orwell





















Paperback326 pages
Read: Mar. 18 - Mar. 21
Rating: 4/5
Genres: Dystopian, Science Fiction, Classic
Summery: Written in 1948, 1984 was George Orwell's chilling prophecy about the future. And while the year 1984 has come and gone, Orwell's narrative is timelier than ever. 1984 presents a startling and haunting vision of the world, so powerful that it is completely convincing from start to finish. No one can deny the power of this novel, its hold on the imaginations of multiple generations of readers, or the resiliency of its admonitions. A legacy that seems only to grow with the passage of time.

Review: This story is about Winston Smith, who lives in a dystopian 1984, in a place called Oceania where people, thoughts, feelings are controlled by Big Brother and the Thought Police. In the beginning of the book we find that Winston, while he works and lives in the Outer Party with everybody else who is controlled by Big Brother he is against them, and wishes, and hopes for rebellion. I really love dystopian books like this, they're so well done that you could see how the events of that lead to this world could have a chance of becoming true events. This book reminded me in a way of Brave New World by Aldous Huxley, Which I review last month, the reason it reminds me of Brave New World is the way they used simple feelings of every person to control them, in Brave New World they controlled people with happiness, and in 1984 they controlled them with fear. They also had people, proles that were more or less viewed as animals, and in Brave new world they had Gammas, Deltas, and Epsilons. While I'm sure some people, along with me, wished it had ended differently, but I also liked the way it ended. I liked Winston, but my favorite character was probably Julia.


While I have been reading The Werewolf Book in between the other books I'm going to review that one last most likely.

Hope everybody had/has a great day : )

No comments:

Post a Comment