Friday, February 28, 2014

When The Wind Blows Book Review + Febuary Book Haul

I finished all 8 books, yay!

When the Wind Blows (When the Wind Blows Book #1 of 2) by James Patterson





















Paperback416 pages
Read: Feb. 28
Rating: 3/5
Genres: Thriller, Science Fiction, Mystery, Adventure
Summery: Set against a sinister backdrop of genetic engineering and illegal scientific experimentation, When the Wind Blows dares readers to test their notions of human evolution and medical science. Frannie O'Neill is a caring young veterinarian living in the Colorado Rockies, trying to erase the memory of her beloved husband's mysterious murder. It is not long before another neighbor suddenly dies, and FBI agent Kit Harrison arrives at Frannie's doorstep. Kit is hell-bent on solving the heinous case despite resounding protests from the FBI and the thrashing of his own internal demons.
Kit secretly pursues the investigation, yet witnesses keep turning up dead. Then Frannie stumbles upon an astonishing discovery in the nearby woods, and their lives are altered in ways they could never have imagined. Simply knowing the secret of Max — the terrified 11-year-old girl with an amazing gift — could mean death.
As more and more diabolical details are unearthed, the murderer's bloody trail ultimately leads the trio to an underground lab network, known as "the School." Here scientists conduct shockingly incomprehensible experiments involving children and genetic alteration.
But perhaps not so unfathomable: Doctors and medical researchers who have read Where the Wind Blows say the events described in this book could actually be a reality in the next 20 to 30 years. If not before.

Review: The story starts out with a prologue introducing Max, an eleven year old girl, Harding Thomas, an expert hunter, and Kit Harrison, a FBI agent, then chapter one introduces Frances O'Neil (Frannie), a veterinarian. I really enjoyed this book, it was well paced, and I enjoyed the characters. There was enough background not only into the characters, but also the world. I really liked the characters of Frannie, Kit, and Max, also a few other characters. The pacing was good and most of the characters were likable. The writing while simple was enjoyable as well, and it made me want to read the sequel.

Now onto the book haul, i ended up with quite a few books this month.

First of what I got at two different Goodwill's.
What I got at the first Goodwill
















I bought the second in the Millennium Trilogy, I found and bought the first and third book a while ago at good will. Next, I bought The Boy in Stripped Pajamas, I've had it on my Books To Buy list for a while now but hadn't been able to find it until now. Then I happened upon The Collector, I read the summery and it sounded like something I might like, It's about a guy who kidnaps a young woman, it sounds like the first part is from his point of view, and the second part is from her point of view.

What i got at the second Goodwill

















First  I happened upon A Walk in Wolf Wood, the title caught my eye first (I have a thing for stories with wolves and werewolves), I read the summery and flipped through it and noticed it was more of a children's book, it seemed like. The next I bought The Grapes of Wrath, the main reason I bought this is because it's a John Steinbeck book, I like Collecting Classics. Last I bought The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, I seen a review of this on The Readables youtube channel, I read the summery and decided to buy it.

Now what I got at Wal-mart

















I saw the cover for Angelfall (I tend to love anything with wings on it), Then I read the summery and really like it, so I decided to buy it. Next i happened upon the sequel WorldAfter at another Walmart the next day and read the summery and bought it. Last I heard quite a few good reviews about The Darkest Minds, so I read the summery and decided to buy it.

Last, but not least what I ordered from Thriftbooks.com
















First The Werewolf Book, I've heard there's a Vampire Book as well, I bought it because I have a thing for werewolves so I had to buy this. Next I bought a combined book Praying For Mercy, Which have the first three book in the Mercy Thompson series, I read the summery and some of the reviews, some people said they didn't like the first one because there was to much world/plot building and not enough romance, so that honestly sounded perfect for me because I tend not to like a lot of romance in books anymore, thanks to Blood Red Road (Horrible Romance, In my opinion), also it had a lot of supernatural elements in it, which i tend to like. The last books I bought were the Chaos Walking series, the first two are put together, I have seen and read quite a few good reviews on this series, and I liked the summery, so I decided to buy them.

I hope everybody had/has a great day : )

No comments:

Post a Comment