Friday, February 28, 2014

Inside Book Series Review

I read the first book (Inside Out) back in 2012, i finished the second book today.

Review #1
Inside Out by Maria V. Snyder





















Paperback320 pages
Read: June 21, 2012
Rating: 3.5/5
Genres: Young Adult, Science Fiction, Adventure
Summery: I'm Trella. I'm a scrub. A nobody. One of thousands who work the lower levels, keeping Inside clean for the Uppers. I've got one friend, do my job and try to avoid the Pop Cops. So what if I occasionally use the pipes to sneak around the Upper levels? The only neck at risk is my own…until I accidentally start a rebellion and become the go-to girl to lead a revolution.
Trella was just doing a favor for a friend—her only friend. Hiding an injured man from the Pop Cops seemed easy enough—though dangerous. But then she discovered that the myths of Outside might be real….

Review: this story Starts out introducing Trella, A lower level scrub. Trella is nicknamed "Queen of the Pipes" by the other lower level scrubs because her job was to clean and keep the pipes working, also because she loved exploring the pipes and know how to sneak past the Population Control Police (Pop Cops) to get to the upper level pipes. While the book was paced well enough, the beginning five - seven chapters were slow and hard to get into, also there was almost no world building which made it hard to imagine, and also hard to get into the book. I also had a hard time liking the main character Trella she seemed a little self-centered and like she was better than others. I actually liked her best and only friend Cog (short for Cogon), the book rarely had any real background about Cog, and he also wasn't in the book that much, but I really liked his character. I also liked most of the others better than Trella, which for me was sad because it took that much longer to get into the book, but by the ending twenty some chapters i finally started to like her some.

Review #2
Outside In (Inside Book #2 of 2) by Maria V. Snyder






















Paperback328 pages
Read: Feb. 28
Rating: 2.5/5
Genres: Young Adult, Science Fiction, Adventure, Romance
Summery:Me?
A leader?
Okay, I did prove that there's more to Inside than we knew.
That a whole world exists beyond this cube we live in. And finding that led to a major rebellion between worker scrubs like me and the snobby uppers who rule our world. Make that ruled. Because of me, we're free. I thought that meant I was off the hook, and could go off on my own again while still touching base with Riley, of course. He's the one upper I think I can trust. But then we learned that there's outside and then there is Outside.
Being Inside's hero only left Trella with more work. Ducking those responsibilities, she continued to explore her stark world—and found something she never expected. Strangers. From Outside…

Review: This story starts with an introduction summarizing what happened in the first book and what has happened between the ending of the first book and the beginning of this book. While I started liking Trella in the last part of the first book, i went right back to not liking her in the beginning of this book all the qualities that i liked about her in the end of Inside Out seemed to have disappeared and Trella reverted to her beginning personality by the beginning of Outside In, so it ended up taking just as long to get into this book (I started to get into it around the very end of chapter four and the beginning of chapter five). The world building was still just as non-existent and confusing as with the first book, so I had just as hard a time imagining the world. And the questions I had about how the characters ended up in the place they were didn't seem to be explained, and if it was it went by very quickly and vaguely. So while the premise was interesting the execution was a let down.

I had the combined book which included both books together.




















It was 608 pages.

Series Rating: 3/5
Series Review: While I enjoyed both books well enough, they were not my cup of tea, they seemed to drag on in the beginning of both books only to pick up for a few chapters. The world building for me seemed confusing and almost non-existent. Although my biggest problem was with the main character, Trella, She seemed very self-involved and unconcerned with others problems or issues, it wasn't until the end of the first book that she started to realize that there was more to the world than just her. But then the second book started and she fell into old behaviors, and she also seemed to be a little hypocritical, so she was honestly my biggest problem with the series. I actually liked a lot of the other characters, my favorites being Cog and Logan, they were very charming to me in terms of their characters, sadly they weren't in the series that much though. I think one of the reasons i may not have liked Trella, would be because there was very little background to relate to her so I couldn't really get to know or understand her character. That seemed like another problem with the books, was not only very little world building, but also very little background for the characters. Also, The endings for both books seemed very rushed, and the last book left off with more questions than answers, the ones that were supposed to be answered in the last book weren't. So while I enjoyed the series, I didn't truly like or love it.

Next up my book haul!
I hope everybody had/has a great day : )

No comments:

Post a Comment