Monday, October 27, 2014

Alanna: The First Adventure book review

Alanna: The First Adventure (Song of the Lioness book #1 of  4) by Tamora Pierce























Paperback274 pages
Read: Oct. 27
Rating 4/5
Genres: Fantasy, Action, Adventure, Magic, Young Adult
Summery: From now on I'm Alan of Trebond, the younger twin. I'll be a knight.
And so young Alanna of Trebond begins the journey to knighthood. Though a girl, Alanna has always craved the adventure and daring allowed only for boys; her twin brother, Thom, yearns to learn the art of magic. So one day they decide to switch places: Disguised as a girl, Thom heads for the convent to learn magic; Alanna, pretending to be a boy, is on her way to the castle of King Roald to begin her training as a page.
But the road to knighthood is not an easy one. As Alanna masters the skills necessary for battle, she must also learn to control her heart and to discern her enemies from her allies.
Filled with swords and sorcery, adventure and intrigue, good and evil, Alanna's first adventure begins - one that will lead to the fulfillment of her dreams and the magical destiny that will make her a legend in her land.

Review: This story starts out with Lord Alan of Trebond giving final word to his children, Alanna and Thom, that Thom is to be sent to train as a page to later become a squire, then become a knight, while Alanna is to be sent to the convent to become a lady. I enjoyed this book, although I couldn't really get into it until half-way through the second chapter. The first chapter and the first half of the second chapter were slow for me, and the seventh (last) chapter of the book was kind of anti-climatic for me. I found Alanna a little annoying to me for the first two chapters but I did end up really liking her from chapter three onward, I also really liked when she became friends with, Jonathan, Gary, Alex, and Raoul, as well as the training master, Gareth, and Alana's manservant, Coram, but my favorite characters were King of the Thieves, George, and the page's teacher of history and law, Myles. This book seemed to be more of a introduction of the characters, and Alanna than adventure, meaning at least for me it was more of a slow paced book, it seemed that there wasn't really a main or big plot but that it was setting up for the plots of the other three books. So I don't really have much to say, or really that I can say about the plot. That said I'm am excited to read the other three books in the series.

Hope everybody has/had a great day : )

No comments:

Post a Comment