Thursday, May 1, 2014

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets book review

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Harry Potter Book #1 of 7) by J.K. Rowling






















Hardcover342 pages
Read: Apr. 29 - Apr. 30
Rating: 5/5
Genres: Fantasy, Adventure, Magic
Summery: The Dursleys were so mean and hideous that summer that all Harry Potter wanted was to get back to the Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry. But just as he's packing his bags, Harry receives a warning from a strange, impish creature named Dobby who says that if Harry Potter returns to Hogwarts, disaster will strike.
And strike it does. For in Harry's second year at Hogwarts, fresh torments and horrors arise, including an outrageously stuck-up new professor, Gilderoy Lockheart, a spirit named Moaning Myrtle who haunts the girl's bathroom, and the unwanted attentions of Ron Weasley's younger sister, Ginny.
But each of these seem minor annoyances when the real trouble beings, and someone--or something--starts turning Hogwarts students to stone. Could it be Draco Malfoy, a more poisonous rival than ever? Could it possibly be Hagrid, whose mysterious past is finally told? Or could it be the one everyone at Hogwarts most suspects...Harry Potter himself.

Review: This story starts a few months after the ending of the first book, and it's Harry Potter's birthday again. I loved this book, it was a great sequel to the first one. The first one is still my favorite though. Dobby has his first appearance in this book, i enjoyed his moments in the book. I liked learning the tiny bit about Hagrid's past that I did. Gilderoy Lockheart was hilariously dim-witted at quite a few moments in this book. I think one of the most interesting parts of the book for me was the confrontation in the last part of the book. I also still really love Fred and George, they are probably some of my favorite characters, I also really liked Mr. Weasley's fascinations with muggle things, those moments were also some of my favorite's, especially with Hermione's parents. This one was a bit slower paced, more so in the first half, but there was still so much to enjoy and learn about the world in the book.


Book to Movie Rating: 4/5
Thoughts on the Book to Movie: I enjoyed the movie for the most part. There were some scenes that felt kind of over-acted as well as some that felt very cheesy. There were also some scenes that I wish had been done like the book, like the reaction to Draco calling Harmione a mud-blood, the quidditch game, and the final scene between Harry and Riddle, I also wish the dueling scene was the same as in the book. I also would have loved the valentine's scene in the Great Hall, I found that scene in the book very funny. I really enjoyed the friendship between Harry, Harmione, and Ron. It was a pretty good adaptation from the book, I did happen to enjoy the first movie as a book to movie adaptation a bit better then this one, but I still really enjoyed this one.


Next up a book haul.
Hope Everybody had/has a great day : )

No comments:

Post a Comment